Consent Episode Summary:
Adam and Sarah welcome Landon Funk, founder of the Funky Feminist movement, blog, and podcast, for a revelatory episode about consent. Is “no means no” an appropriate response to consent or should we focus on “yes means yes” instead? How do you work ongoing consent into a night of sex and fireworks? Your hosts and Landon talk about how easy consent really can be as a concept when you strip away your privilege, put on someone else’s shoes, and have a little empathy.
Looking for the Tea and Consent video talked about in the episode? Here you go!
Thanks to Landon for joining us on a fantastic episode of Dating Kinda Sucks. Find Landon and Funky Feminist online here:
- Twitter: @funky_feminist
- Instagram: @funky_feminist
- Facebook: funkyfeminist
- Website: FunkyFeminist.com
- Podcast: Funky Feminist
And check out Sarah G’s appearance on episode 3 here!
Dating Kinda Sucks Commentary
Host Thoughts on Consent Is Sexy Episode
- I’m super happy I just watched that tea video for the first time. I wish they showed that in schools (and definitely in college).
- Never assume anything when it comes to sex.
- My dating life is complete mess right now, and although Adam and Landon aren’t fans of Sergeant Slaughter, I still think he’s a nice guy and I want to see where things go before he leaves for 6 months. Sue me. I’m going to live my life and feel something rather than nothing at all. The end.
There’s nothing tricky about consent – it’s just a case of never assuming and always asking. Once you get into that habit, you’ll find that it becomes second nature. I ask my dates if I can kiss them. I ask them if they like what I’m doing, if I can do something else, if they really want me to keep going, and I make it part of the experience, and you know what? It works really well for both parties. Give it a try sometime!